Inviso
USA
Spanish
Portuguese
Display news for: 
 

ADC Signs With Albany Tel To Expand Customer Bandwidth Ten-Fold

December 9, 2008 

MINNEAPOLIS, Dec 09, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

Leading global connectivity solution provider ADC (NASDAQ:ADCT)(www.adc.com) is engaging its Professional Services team with central Minnesota-based Albany Tel to upgrade the cooperative's copper lines to a fiber network that can support advanced bandwidth-intensive services. By the end of the five-year fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) project, Albany Tel's 3,800 subscribers will have access to all-digital offerings like Internet Protocol TV (IPTV) and high-definition TV, as well as high-speed Internet up to 100 Mbps.

"We wanted to work with ADC because of the quality of their products and customer care. They offer skilled technicians that can help with all phases of our network upgrades," said Tom Eveslage, network operations manager for Albany Tel. "The ADC equipment also takes less space in the central office, but leaves enough room for growth - particularly important as we move toward more fiber and less copper."

Currently about 85 percent of the cooperative's network consists of copper lines, with fiber accounting for the other 15 percent. Eveslage said those numbers likely will flip-flop by the end of this five-year project.

Using an active-Ethernet architecture, Albany Tel is deploying greenfield fiber networks - primarily in new-home developments - and building over existing copper lines. As the fiber reaches more homes and businesses, customers will experience network speeds ten times faster than Albany Tel's current 10 Mbps broadband offerings.

"Albany Tel's decision to use both our central office and outside-plant gear for their five-year fiber rollout underlines our commitment to flexible and future-proof fiber solutions that grow with our customers," said Pat Thompson, director of core connectivity solutions for ADC. "Our customers repeatedly trust ADC to deliver products and the expertise to install and maintain fiber deployments, no matter how advanced their fiber plans may be."

Albany Tel's central office features ADC's FiberGuide fiber-management system and OMX splice bays, which are part of ADC's central office product suite. The cooperative also relies on ADC's OmniReach FTTX Solutions in its outside plant, where it uses ADC's 24-fiber Next Generation Frame and RiserGuide cable-management system. Albany Tel is one of ADC's first customers to place the multifiber assemblies and RiserGuide solution alongside the active equipment in an Ethernet deployment.

About Albany Tel

Formally incorporated as Albany Mutual Telephone in March, 1951, the cooperative currently operates the three Minnesota exchanges of Albany (845), Freeport (836), and New Munich (837), which include the communities of St. Anthony, St. Rosa, and the surrounding areas. The cooperative serves approximately 3,800 access lines. All three exchanges are tied together via a fiber-optic ring to assure continued operation, as well as a 250 mile toll network.

About ADC

ADC provides the connections for wireline, wireless, cable, broadcast, and enterprise networks around the world. ADC's innovative network infrastructure equipment and professional services enable high-speed Internet, data, video, and voice services to residential, business and mobile subscribers. ADC (NASDAQ:ADCT) has sales into more than 130 countries. Learn more about ADC at www.adc.com.

SOURCE: ADC

ADC Media Relations
Mike Smith, +1 952.917.0306
mike.smith.dir@adc.com
or
ADC Investor Relations
Jim Mathews, +1 952.917.0940
jim.mathews@adc.com

 

Copyright Business Wire 2008

News Provided by COMTEX